By Francis O'Gorman
- Opens up for the reader the cultural global during which the Victorian novel was once written and read.
- Crosses conventional disciplinary boundaries.
- Provides clean views on how Victorian fiction pertains to various contexts, equivalent to category, sexuality, empire, psychology, legislations and biology.
Read or Download A Concise Companion to the Victorian Novel (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary victorian criticism books
The level portrayal of the Victorians lately is a key reference aspect in knowing notions of Britishness, and the profound politicisation of that discuss during the last 4 a long time. This book throws new gentle on works by means of canonical playwrights like Bond, Edgar, and Churchill, linking theatre to the broader tradition at huge.
A lot has been written concerning the Victorian novel, and for strong cause. The cultural energy it exerted (and, to a point, nonetheless exerts) is past query. The Oxford instruction manual of the Victorian Novel contributes considerably to this thriving scholarly box via delivering new techniques to time-honored subject matters (the novel and technology, the Victorian Bildungroman) in addition to essays on themes usually neglected (the novel and classics, the unconventional and the OED, the novel,and allusion).
This edited ebook presents a different chance for foreign students to give a contribution to the exploration of liminality within the box of Anglo-American literature written through or approximately girls among the Victorian interval and the second one global War.
In her learn of the unsuccessful nineteenth-century emigrant, Tamara S. Wagner argues that failed emigration and go back force nineteenth-century writing in English in unforeseen, culturally revealing methods. Wagner highlights the hitherto unexplored subgenre of anti-emigration writing that emerged as a tremendous counter-current to a pervasive emigration propaganda computing device that was once urgent renowned fiction into its carrier.
- Postal Pleasures: Sex, Scandal, and Victorian Letters
- Moving Images (Edinburgh Critical Studies in Victorian Culture EUP)
- Victorian Women and the Theatre of Trance: Mediums, Spiritualists and Mesmerists in Performance
Extra info for A Concise Companion to the Victorian Novel (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Concise Companion to the Victorian Novel (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture) by Francis O'Gorman