By Patrick Brantlinger,William Thesing
- Provides contextual and important information regarding the complete variety of British fiction released through the Victorian period.
- Explains matters corresponding to Victorian religions, classification constitution, and Darwinism to those that are strange with them.
- Comprises unique, available chapters written by means of popular and rising students within the box of Victorian studies.
- Ideal for college kids and researchers looking up to the moment assurance of contexts and tendencies, or as a place to begin for a survey course.
Read or Download A Companion to the Victorian Novel (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary victorian criticism books
The level portrayal of the Victorians lately is a key reference element in knowing notions of Britishness, and the profound politicisation of that discuss over the past 4 many years. This book throws new gentle on works via canonical playwrights like Bond, Edgar, and Churchill, linking theatre to the broader tradition at huge.
A lot has been written in regards to the Victorian novel, and for strong cause. The cultural strength it exerted (and, to a point, nonetheless exerts) is past query. The Oxford guide of the Victorian Novel contributes considerably to this thriving scholarly box by way of supplying new methods to established themes (the novel and technology, the Victorian Bildungroman) in addition to essays on issues usually missed (the novel and classics, the radical and the OED, the novel,and allusion).
This edited e-book presents a distinct chance for overseas students to give a contribution to the exploration of liminality within the box of Anglo-American literature written through or approximately girls among the Victorian interval and the second one international War.
In her examine of the unsuccessful nineteenth-century emigrant, Tamara S. Wagner argues that failed emigration and go back force nineteenth-century writing in English in unforeseen, culturally revealing methods. Wagner highlights the hitherto unexplored subgenre of anti-emigration writing that emerged as an enormous counter-current to a pervasive emigration propaganda computing device that used to be urgent well known fiction into its carrier.
- Evolution and Imagination in Victorian Children's Literature (Cambridge Studies in Nineteenth-Century Literature and Culture)
- The Faerie Queene as Children’s Literature: Victorian and Edwardian Retellings in Words and Pictures
- The Victorian Bookshelf: An Introduction to 61 Essential Novels
- The Victorian Ghost Story and Theology: From Le Fanu to James
- A Room of His Own: A Literary-Cultural Study of Victorian Clubland
- Utopian Novels in Victorian England: Three comments on the possibility and desirability of Utopia
Additional info for A Companion to the Victorian Novel (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to the Victorian Novel (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by Patrick Brantlinger,William Thesing